History of ART
Active Release Techniques (ART) was developed, refined, and patented by Dr. P. Michael Leahy, DC, CCSP, a Doctor of Chiropractic, based in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and the founder of Champion Health Clinic.
Dr. Leahy noticed that his patients’ symptoms seemed to be related to changes in their soft tissues. He found that he could feel the changes in soft tissues when they became restricted or adhesed.
By observing how muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments, and nerves responded to different types of soft-tissue work, Dr. Leahy was able to develop a treatment system that consistently resolved over 90% of his patients’ problems.
Dr. Leahy began developing and documenting Active Release Techniques in 1985 under the initial name of Myofascial Release. He used these methods and protocols to treat his patients more effectively and efficiently. Since then, the technique has been patented under the name Active Release Techniques, and is widely taught and practiced around the world.
Active Release Techniques has expanded at a phenomenal rate. This methodology is now taught throughout Canada, the United States, England, Norway, Sweden, France, Italy, Brazil, and Australia, with new courses being added each year. Practitioners come from around the world to learn and practice this technique. The technique itself continues to evolve and grow as the results of ongoing clinical trials are continually incorporated into its methodology.
About Dr. P. Michael Leahy DC
Dr. P. Michael Leahy DC:
- Graduated from the United States Air Force Academy and served as a fighter pilot and test pilot.
- Has a background in aeronautical engineering.
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude and Valedictorian of Los
Angeles College of Chiropractic in 1984 and became a
Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician in 1986.
- Has been proudly serving patients in the Colorado Springs
area for over 20 years.
- Teaches ART around the world to practitioners from many
different health care disciplines. His efforts have helped to improve the performance of many professional and world- class athletes in sports varying from golf, hockey, football, and weightlifting to multiple Olympic sports.
- Aside from helping athletes, Dr. Leahy developed and published The Law of Repetitive Motion and The Cumulative Injury Cycle which have helped to redefine the prevention and treatment of work-related injuries.